top of page

The UK has left the EU - guidance

United Kingdom has left European Union at the end of Jan 31st 2020, and has been operating in ''transition period'' with European Union up to the end of Dec 31st 2020. From Jan 1st 2021, when ''transition period'' was finished, UK citizens are considered as non-EU citizens, and their status in EU state members is regulated by Withdrawal agreement. For all matters that are sill unregulated by Withdrawal agreement, international regulations are applied and UK citizens are treated same as any other non-EU citizen.

ZBA provides you with short guidelines of rights provided to UK citizens by Withdrawal agreement:

1. Visas and residency

If you were living in Croatia before 1 January 2021 you need to get a new residence permit by 30 June 2021. Detailed information on visa and residency matters:

2. Passports and travel

You should carry your residence document, as well as your valid passport when you travel. If you have applied but not yet received your document, carry your certificate of application. If you have not yet applied for a residence document, you should carry evidence that you are resident in Croatia. This could include a tenancy agreement or a utility bill in your name, dating from 2020.

3. Entry requirements

You can travel to other Schengen area countries for up to 90 days in any 180-day period without a visa for purposes such as tourism. To stay longer than 90 days in any 180-day period, to work or study, or for business travel, you must meet the entry requirements set out by the country you are travelling to. This could mean applying for a visa or work permit.

4. Driving in Croatia

If you are resident in Croatia, you should exchange your UK licence for a Croatian one. You should exchange your driving licence at the nearest police station. You can do this if you have either an approved temporary or permanent residence in Croatia.

5. Healthcare

If you are resident in Croatia, you must not use your UK-issued EHIC for healthcare in Croatia. If you were living in Croatia before 1 January 2021, you may be eligible for a new UK-issued EHIC if you’re a UK student in Croatia, a UK State Pensioner with a registered S1 or a frontier worker with a registered S1.

6. Frontier workers

If you live in Croatia and were regularly commuting to work in another EU or EFTA country, before January 2021, you may need a permit to prove that you are a frontier worker.

7. Money and tax

The UK has a double taxation agreement with Croatia to make sure that you do not pay tax on the same income in both countries. Ask the relevant tax authority your questions about double taxation relief. Existing double taxation arrangements for UK nationals living in Croatia have not changed following the UK’s withdrawal from the EU.

8. Banking

Whether UK banks can provide services to customers living in the EEA is a matter of local law and regulation. Your bank or finance provider should contact you if they need to make any changes to your product or the way they provide it. If you have any concerns about whether you might be affected, contact your provider or seek independent financial advice.

9. Voting

You cannot vote in local municipal elections in Croatia or European Parliament elections.

10. Pets

If you have a pet passport issued by Croatia or another EU member state, you can use it to travel with your pet to Great Britain and elsewhere in the EU. A GB-issued EU pet passport is not valid for travel to the EU or Northern Ireland. You should speak to your vet before you travel to get the necessary pet travel documents and ensure you’re compliant with the EU Pet Travel Regulations.

If you want to find out more about this topic, feel free to contact us at

19 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page